Thursday, July 12, 2012

things I did today

Uploaded this photo of Anime Expo that I took last week.  It struck me because I wasn't used to being outside, on the street, during the con...Unless I was walking back to my hotel.  But the X Games took over Figueroa Blvd.  So a lot of the cosplay gatherings which usually take place in Lindsay Plaza, got kicked out to Pico Blvd.  Which is where I ran into this glowing scene.

The past few days, I've been tending to a gathering thread I started at http://www.cosplay.com/ for a Natsume Yuujinchou cosplay gathering.  I immeditately stated that I was willing to hand off gathering moderation to someone less shy, but the more it grows, the more attached to it I feel.  It's still, comparatively, such a small thing, but for a series that isn't very widely known, the gathering seems to be growing rapidly.  Even though I actually saw *several* Natsume Takashi cosplayers at AX this year, when I was used to seeing none in person, I wasn't sure the thread would find enough people to make a group, let alone, a gathering.  But several people have jumped on board, and I'm taking even the "maybe" Natsume cosplayers.  ^_^  Now we're planning Nyanko-sensei's drinking party, with real food, and a game of kagehumioni.  So happy!  Now to work on that cosplay!


I also joined My Figure Collection today.  I don't know how it works, but I've been meaning to catalog all my figurines, for a while.  Though, I'm not sure it'll allow my Rement miniatures, which I also need to catalog.  I may end up making my own HTML file, to catalog my entire collection. 

Speaking of cataloging my collection, I need to figure out what manga I swapped with the other vendor at PMX2011's swap meet.  (The photos above are from the LA sakura festival's swap meet, but they're the best swap meet pics I have.)  I'm so obsessive compulsive that I always carry a little booklet, listing my manga inventory, and my swap meet ledgers list each volume I've sold.  But that swap with the other vendor happened so fast, right before the con had to kick us out of the room, that I didn't write down what he took.  Now that I've had so much more fun at Artist Alley, than swap meets, I've begun to consider no more swap meets and settling into keeping what I have...and regretting what I've sold away.  I was so happy, when I went through my swap meet box today and found the volume of Meru Puri that I keep referencing in essays, and thought I had already sold.  (Though I didn't find that Strawberry Panic volume 1 that I thought my brother didn't want.  That was a bummer.)  Even though I may not love the manga in my swap meet boxes, I do reference them in essays.  And now that my lifestyle must be more frugal, going through my personal library for something "new" (at least, unfamiliar) is better than buying new books.  But most of all, I'm sentimental.  Even to series I didn't completely love.  At one convention panel about gender-bending series, they mentioned Memato Kiss, which I had, and how rare it was to find now.  That just awaken's my collector's blood.  Mixed with my sentimentality, now I can't let that book go.  ...Even if I didn't really like the characters... ~_~;  So now I'm haunted by "What did I swap with that guy!?"  And, "I should have swapped for his Variant volume!"  I think he had volume 3.  I have volume 2 at home.  I wasn't totally into the series, but it is another example of the "Universal Mother Goddess" as "persecuted monster" archetype, the cursed/monster arm motif, and female Hero Journey.  When that guy offered to swap and I saw his volume 3, I wanted it.  But I told myself that I was at the swap meet to sell, not to acquire more stuff.  Although, if I don't do anymore swap meets, then I've been laden with several volumes of Shaolin Sisters, which was a sequel to the Juline series that I disliked.  ~_~;  Ug.  I always regret stuff...  I wonder what I swapped....? 

No comments:

Post a Comment