Tuesday, May 8, 2012

how to stuff hair under a wig


Below, is a video from Doll Delight, the lolita fashion designer.  I subscribe to her posts on Facebook, so I checked out her new tutorial video, on how to get long, thick hair, under a wig.  This is exactly the kind of hair I have, and it is a pain to get it completely under a wig, so I watched her video for tips.  http://youtu.be/YKnNU34E2bE

Even though it was cool to watch, I don't think I can use this technique.  ^^;  I get a headache when I use a wigcap, and she used FIVE.  Five wigcaps!  All at once!  O.O!!!  
Personally, I like to use the Princess Leia hairstyle from The Empire Strikes Back...with a LOT of quilting clips. 
Quilting clips are those really secure hairclips that cost like $4 for just 6, but you can get 30 for $3 in crafting stores' sewing/yarn sections.  Cosplay panels I've attended before, have advocated putting in so many hairpins that your scalp hurts, then putting in some more.  But I find that the quilting clips are painless, more secure, and need fewer.  But I will still put in a few hairpins to style my wigs without cutting them, or to secure some hairs peeking out, or when I *really* want to secure my wig to my head.
The Princess Leia technique is nice, because the hair is very evenly distributed, so there aren't any strangely placed bulges under the wig.  At first, my sister was admant about following the techniques her teachers taught in her theater classes, but it just made perfectly fine wigs look horrible.  I think she had several buns atop her head, trying to distribute the bulges of hair evenly, in that way.  It was horrible, and she rejected some of the wigs I got her, because of how bad it made them look.  But, after she tried the Princess Leia hair, all the wigs looked fine.  ^_^ 

That same cosplay panel, I mentioned earlier, gave the best advice:  There are no set techniques, no "right way" to cosplay, so experiment to achieve the effect you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment