Monday, May 7, 2012

art vs fan-art satisfaction


I didn't finish editing that Code Geass cosplay gathering video, like I thought I would, so that upload is postponed.  Anyway, I really should be working on Artist Alley stock instead.  There's less than 2 months left!  0~0!
Today, I made some different pendants besides US/UK, and patched up a star on one of the previous US/UK pendants.  I also tried mass-producing elements of the flag pendants, instead of making one whole pendant at a time.  The black hearts are the filler for the flag pendants; ready to go for tomorrow. 

I really haven't felt productive or even proud of what I've been making, this past week or so.  I guess the novelty of making those Hetalia pairing, flag-heart pendants come into reality has worn off.  I tried making different pairings besides US/UK, to liven things up.  I even finished my Germany mllefiori cane today and made my first Germany/Italy pendant.  But I guess I really need to do something radically different to get excited about crafting for Artist Alley again. 

Tomorrow, I think I'll start the millefiori canes for Wayfinders, from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.  Just thinking about working on those revives my excitement.  Plus, I'm beginning to believe there's something much more satisfying about having a reference idea to work towards.  Taking something that only existed in the virtual space of videogames, then bringing it into reality, is a lot of fun.  Taking anything that only existed in any type of imaginary space, has always been a lot of fun, even in terms of original works.  But whether it be cosplay or fan-art, having a reference concept to work towards, seems much more accessible.  In the official or cannon series, there's a definite image of the important points that comprise the essence of something from a series.  And that's all I need to set my goals for.  I think that without that definitiveness, perfectionism gets the better of me.  Afterall, I'm so disatified with my work lately, because I see all the flaws, and I just can't make it as perfect as the impossibility in my head.  Even though imperfection is natural in the real world, I just can't let it slide, because these pendants are a pure idea that I'm chasing, not someone else's concept that I can check-mark key points to fulfill.  x~x;;; 

Silliness.  In the end, I started this concept because I knew it would be liked and received by the Hetalia fan community.  And if the community is already showing affinity for these pendants on my DeviantArt, then I've gotta start believing that they're acceptable to sell.  I got excited about this project, because I wanted to make the fandom happy, while expressing my own fandom participation.  So fan-art, in and of itself, should be enough to feel satisfied and proud, even without the (impossible) perfection. 

...Besides, what am I going to do with all these pendants lying around the house?  ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment