Sunday, January 13, 2013

Otaku Rules of Propriety

After browsing my folder of "inspirational/motivational posters", and reading Simon Pegg's "geek" quote and "The Otaku Oath", I started writing down the ideas I try to abide by, as a geek, based on accumulated advice and my own experience.  As such, this will probably forever be in-progress.  (This was more personal than anything else, so I hope I don't inadvertently offend anyone!)



___My Personal Rules of Propriety for the Geek and Otaku___

1)  I will enjoy my hobby, regardless of others' opinions.  Whether a preference for 1 series/niche will make me seem cooler over another, or whether 1 series/niche will make me seem dorkier over another.

2)  I will have fun with my hobby.  When an aspect of my hobby stops being fun, I will move on, or work harder to make it fun again.  Whether that's cosplay, photography, collecting, fan-ficcing, forums, artist alley, video coverage, etc. 

3)  I will respect my fellow-geek.  I will not flying-glomp or tackle without warning.  I will not molest cosplayers, even at drunken con parties.  I will not hit or touch people without permission.  I will not hit or touch people with props, objects, or yaoi paddles without permission---and in the case of permission given, I will not use full force.  I will keep my mouth shut, rather than hating on someone else's favorite series/OTP, in an environment where everyone is trying to keep a positive attitude.  I will use "I like this" phrases instead of "I hate this" phrases.  I will vent my long list(s) of dislikes and peeves in a blog, rather than vocally.  I will not flame or troll without reason, intelligence, or an understanding that other persons in the conversation really enjoy debating.  I will stop myself (and apologize) when I begin to act elitist.  I will not call someone "not a real fan" because of how they entered the fandom, their opinions and preferences within the fandom, their noob level, etc.  I will not condescend another cosplayer's techniques or skill level.  I will not (vocally) generalize any fandom, series, or niche interest as completely worthless, the sign of an idiot, or "too mainstream".  I will not make others fearful of expressing their fandom and being a geek freely, by belittling thier interest(s)/fandom (before  they even mention their affiliation).  Within the fandoms, I will not perpetuate the same ostracism that Mundanes often impose on geeks. 

4)  I will try other aspects of fandom.  I will cosplay at least once, even if it's just neko-mimi &/or fox tails.  I will draw fan-art, even if it's just a doodle, and even if I think I suck.  I will read some fanfiction, and maybe write some.  I will do some photography or videography, whether it be cosplayers, figurines, or the set-up of my massive collection(s).  I will browse artist alley as often as the usual dealers' hall.  I will check-out a convention panel about a subject I am unfamiliar with.  I will sit in on the karaoke room (during the gap between other events).  I will take a peek at the videogame room and tabletop gaming room.  I will watch a lolita fashion show.  I will not judge a series by a name, instead, I will check it out myself.  I will at least flip through any manga title I am unfamiliar with.

5)  I will keep my fangirling/fanboying in check.  ...Even while on a convention high.  ...Even if I see a cosplayer of my favorite character.  When my giddiness imposes on others' comfort levels, I will stop (and apologize).  When I see a long-sought collectable, I will not have a heart-attack.  But instead, poker-face so that I may keep the advantage when bargaining for a lower price.  I will keep my hands (and yaoi paddles) to myself.  I will keep my voice down to "indoor levels", at least 70% of the time.  I will not shout memes continuously.  I will not drag unsuspecting by-standers into my roleplaying, into being in-character for a cosplay, or into actions which make references to a series, if such actions are violent, too loud, ecchi, or just plain obnoxious.  (For example, Homestuckers should not actually throw buckets at conventions; Jiraiya cosplayers do not have license to grope girls; etc.)

6)  I will save my money wherever I can.  I will go around a good portion (or all) of the dealers' hall, to compare prices and stocks, before throwing my money at the first booth that has what I want.  I will do my research, before the con or online purchase, so I know what a reasonable deal is or the likelihood of encountering a rare item again.  I will not buy anything expensive, unless it literally takes my breath away.  I will not chip away at my funds with a bunch of items which are only mildly interesting.  If a photo or art print is enough for me, I will not buy the figurine, charm, plushie, etc.  If a booth or more has enough stock of an item I want, and the demand is not so rabid as to make the item stock sold-out after the first day, then I will try to wait for the last day of the con, to buy and take advantage of possible dealers' last-day sales.  I will guard against accidentally buying duplicates of items, even re-releases by another licensing company, of the same item contents.  I will carry a list or thumbnail picture catalogue of what I already have collected, as a small print-out list/booklet or in my phone/portable device.  I will stop intentionally buying duplicates of items, if I do not have the budget to continue doing so. 

7)  I will support the people who make fandom as enjoyable as it is.  I will buy officially licensed anime (and delete my torrents), when they are released.  I will buy manga, and not just download scanlations (unless it's doujinshi which will likely never be licensed ;_; ).  I will support artist alley.  I will attend conventions properly, without sneaking in.  I will visit fansites before they disappear.  I will leave online comments for fan-artists, fan-ficcers, etc. 

8)  I will not contribute to "con funk" or "the con plague".  I will shower before each con day.  I will soap twice in the shower, if I have to.  I will use up the hotel's bottles of shampoo, and let housekeeping replace it with a new bottle, each day, if necessary.  I will cover my mouth when I cough.  I will cover my mouth with my elbow, hankerchief, sleeve, or anything besides my hands, to decrease the chances that people who touch the door handles will get the "con plague".  I will carry hand-sanitizer, and use it before I touch food or my face.  I will carry vitamin C lozenges or keep some in my hotel room or car.

9)  I will not allow myself to miss the convention.  I will not oversleep during mornings, thinking con panels/events are not important enough to wake for.  I will set alarms on my cellphone to wake up in the mornings.  I will not spend all day, everyday of the con, sewing cosplay in my hotel room.  I will not spend a day of the convention, at a nearby tourist attraction instead of the con. 

10)  I will not do without nutrients.  I will carry snacks at the con, and not just leave them in the hotel room.  I will carry a bottle of water, even if the convention center or hotel halls provide water fountains.  (You never know how long you will be stuck in some panels, cosplay gatherings, or other unleavable situations.)  I will force myself to drink water, even before I feel thirsty.  I will buy an actual meal at a restaurant, if my body begins to die from snack foods. 

11)  I will try to sleep.  I will not try to attend everything going on all night, so I will not oversleep and miss morning events.  If there is time, I will take naps during long gaps between events.  I will set my cellphone alarm, in case I nap too deeply.

12)  I will attempt to keep the convention hallways clear.  I will clear the way for delicate and intricate cosplayers.  I will not stop in the middle of a packed or unpacked hall, just to converse or stare at something.  I will try to stay against the side walls.  I will not allow my conversation circle to freely jut out into the halls.  I will be aware of my larger props and protect from possible tripping hazards, should I set them down.  I will try to find "out of the way" places to hold my cosplay gatherings.  I will especially not block entrances, exits, stairs, escalators, and other areas of heavy foot traffic. 

13)  I will enjoy the convention.  I will not let run-ins with creepers, trolls, elitists, etc. ruin my con experience.  I will improve my further actions, should I make the mistake of acting like a creeper, elitist, or other obnoxious person.  I will highlight all events in the schedule I am interested in, based on the panel/event descriptions, if I have time to read them.  I will not fall into the endless disappointment of trying to attend every single event I am interested in.  I will remember that events are something I attend when I happen to have time for it, not the other way around.  I will not forsake courtesy, nutrients, sleep, and fun, for the purpose of rushing to and attending every event.  I will accept unexpected changes to my schedule, and remember that it may be more fun than what I originally planned.  I will be willing to ditch my original plans and event interests for time with friends, new panels, unexpected events, newly discovered interests, etc. 

14)  I will take care of my collection(s) and enjoy it.  I will not simply stack my manga/comic books, videogames, DVDs/blurays, etc. as inaccessible towers on the floor.  I will organize my collections for easy access for reading, admiring, or in other practical appreciation methods.  I will actually read the books and flip through the artbooks I have collected, especially if they have gone untouched for some time.  I will place my figurines in a case or at least in clear, cheap, gift boxes, to keep the dust from crusting into impenetrable layers in their crevices.  I will not be afraid to use my figurines in figurine photography.  I will hug my plushie pillows.  I will actually use my collectable pillows, if their designs are sturdy, such as embroidery (versus mere printed fabric).

15)  I will remember that I was once a noob and everyone starts somewhere.  I will not discourage anyone from being a geek of something "mainstream".  I will be sensitive to the worth of any fandom, even if it does not touch me personally.  I will forgive the over-intense energy levels of obnoxious fanboys/fangirls, and believe in their ability to mature into becoming more conscious of others.  I will give everyone a reasonable chance to realize, apologize, change, and evolve out of being an elitist, a troll, a creeper, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment