Tuesday, January 15, 2013

mail after ALA


When I finally got home from Anime Los Angeles 2013 and the following week at my siblings' apartment, I found that these manga had arrived in the mail.  ^_^ 

More of Rukia's return!  ^u^  She's so awesome...! *o*

And, of course, one of my favorite genres:  gender (role) bending.  ...Now that I think about it, Otomen is the only gender-bending series I'm collecting, that is still being currently released.  ;.;  I finished W Juliet, I finished Girl Got Game ("Power"), I finished Penguin Revolution,...  I think I have all of Ouran Koko Host Club, but I haven't read it all.  Did the series "Your and My Secret" finish, or did it just stop printing because Tokyopop almost went under?  Actually, there is a sequel series to W Juliet:  W Juliet II.  I've only got some tankouban of that series in Japanese right now, but Viz recently asked on their Facebook page for licensing suggestions, and I put in a bid for W Juilet II. 

Anyway, it's kind of ironic that Otomen came in the mail with Bleach, since it's kind of inspired by Bleach.  When Shonen manga became popular in the 2000's, so many manga-ka were urged to follow the suit of Bleach, Naruto, and Death Note.  Otomen is one of the clearest homages, in terms of their character designs being so similar to the major characters of Bleach.  But Otomen employed an ironic twist, by being a story about very Shojo-like male characters, who were under pressure to maintain very Shonen images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment