Thursday, October 25, 2012

skipping PMX2012 Artist Market

I've been waffling over this, but I think it's time I get decisive about skipping Pacific Media Expo's artist alley, this year.  ;__;  Sad.  Very sad. 

I had all these grand plans.
Small cons like PMX, were supposed to be where I did artist alleys, so I could run around the bigger cons, as a normal attendee.  Usually, smaller cons aren't so busy, so I wouldn't have to work so hard, trying not to think about what I was missing, like I did at AX artist alley. 

I was going to make more heart-shaped, flag pairing pendants, of course.  But I recently got an idea to make them about more than Hetalia fangirling.  Since it was _Pacific_ Media Expo, I thought I could do a bunch of Asian countries not mentioned in Hetalia.  At Anime Expo 2012, people came up, asking for flags to show off their ethnicity, instead of Hetalia fandom.  I could have done Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan, and a whole slew of other Asian flags that would have been just perfect for an Asian convention like PMX. 

I was also going to take one passing customer's suggestion, and turn some of my bunny tails into Truffula trees.

Then, of course, stock my basic fodder of pom-pom moogles, paopu fruit, and plushie pizza.

And with PMX's requirement for 20% original, non-fanart, I was going to try to sell off my scads of hand-made, wire jewelry.  That stuff gets to be like knitting, once you get into it.  But then, you never know what to do with all those necklaces after you make them. 

But apparently, I didn't want it urgently enough, because instead of working on new stock all this time, I messed around doing---What did I do, anyway?  ~_~;  I really don't know.  My life is a collosal mess.  So, I have to apologize.  To myself and to everyone. 

But let's face it, me getting into Artist Market this year is just not realistic.  It sold out in 4 minutes from the time they opened sign-ups.  And I was out, all that night, celebrating my dad's birthday.  Even if I do apply to the waiting list, I haven't been replenishing my stock.  I thought I could make a decent amount of new stock in the 3 weeks before the con, but now I'm sick.  And I'm notoriously slow at recovery.  Not to mention the other RL stuff I have to take care of at the same time.  I didn't even get around to applying for my seller's permit from the EOB yet.  Not to mention that I'm low on business cards.  Would an order now, even make it in time for PMX?  And what could I submit for PMX's portfolio review?  My DeviantArt is mixed up with so many pieces that I don't sell at artist alley.  So, I should just enjoy PMX as a fan.  ...Then make it my mission, on the last day of the con, to pre-register for next year's Artist Market!

I'm not even trying for Anime Los Angeles's artist alley.  You can't even just buy table space.  Their room is so small, you can only sign-up for a lottery, to get into their artist alley.  Besides, there's too much stuff going on at ALA, to miss it, while sitting at a table.  I want to become a better cosplay videographer, afterall.  And ALA is _the_ cosplay gathering con. 

So, that leaves me with another question:  Should I go for Anime Expo artist alley again?  I had decided by the end of this year's AX, that I would try one year as a regular attendee again, so I wouldn't have to miss all the cosplay gatherings and panels that I likely won't be able to see at any other con.  Even though doing artist alley in 2012, made it the most fun I've had at Anime Expo in years, I have to make sure it was worth missing the rest of the con.  Though, I do think about the people who enjoyed my jewelry and may hope to see it again---especially since I haven't figured out Etsy and online seller's taxes yet.  @_@;  If I can't do artist alley at these small cons like PMX, then maybe I shouldn't blow an opportunity like AX.  Maybe I'll get a partner and have someone man my table, while I'm hosting cosplay gatherings or covering others with video.  That'd be nice.  I love having it all.

But as for PMX.  It's time I resolve myself to defeat for this year and my mission to secure next year.  ...I guess that means I'm working on cosplay to distract myself from the sudden omission of busy time that I expected, making new stock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment