Friday, October 12, 2012

cosplay stage shows

As I was watching the Sengoku Basara stage show online, my brother walked by, shaking his head.  Since he's also otaku, I was surprised that he hadn't heard of these stage shows before.  Even the Bleach stage show, which was quite some time ago.


If I had to explain this trend of stage show adaptations of anime series, I would have to reference Halloween.  In documentaries of Halloween's conversion from 1950's, exclusively-children's holiday to the present-day's inclusion of adults, scholars explained that children from the 1950's who loved Halloween, did not see any reason to give up that love, just because they grew up.

Is it that the children who grew up, watching sentai stage shows at shopping malls, didn't see any reason to give up their affinity for stage shows, just because of age?  These anime-based stage shows are very similar to the sentai stage shows that are typically for children...They're just upped a level.  ^_^  I like to think of them as epic cosplay skits! *u*

No comments:

Post a Comment