Wednesday, January 25, 2012

ramblings of fan-art in fandom

http://mysticdragon3.deviantart.com/#/d4njls9
Another fan-art of Americat using Iggycat as a pillow.  I know I had another, more interesting idea for the fan-art today.  But for some reason, the idea just disappeared when I finally started doodling.  ~.~;  I could have even finished inking and coloring this before midnight, but I just couldn't concentrate, when a (better) idea was eluding me.  This drawing is pretty much like yesterday's, but they're asleep.  I ran an image seach for "cat hugs other cat", to make sure I get a few points right.  I should have run that search a long time ago.  So many cute kitties filling one screen!  ^u^ 

Anyway, I didn't craft today, even though Artist Alley is creeping closer and my brother even gave me his wig he wants styled by the next anime con.  But can I count working on my business card?  Aside from writing about the thought I put into choosing its points, working on that card design was all I did today.  That, and sleep, and draw, an hour ago.  ^^;  (I posted that writing in my other blog, since it's not as focused on just fandom.  http://mysticdragon3.livejournal.com/21257.html ) 
Selling my fan-art in Artist Alley is going to be a big step for me, and not just in the fandom area of my life.  But thinking about publishing fan-art, I can't help but be nostalgic about how far that practice has come.  It used to be, we drew for ourselves.  And I could only really show my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles drawings to other classmates who shared the same fandom.  Then came the internet and a wonderous ability to share worldwide.  *____*  We all learned HTML and what graphic file compression was.  Then fan-pages turned into networking sites, like DeviantArt, and now that's where we all share our fan-art. 

But eventually, whether fan-art or fan-fiction, everyone gradually begins their own, original stories.  Usually, when someone bows out of a fandom, that reason is usually part of their farewell or "apology for lurking" messages.  I know that some American comic book artists started out with fanzines, and manga-ka like CLAMP and Sanami Matoh started with doujinshi.  I feel like joining Artist Alley is some kind of great tradition of fandom.  Actually, not "like", it is.  Or else that huge chunk of the Comic Con floor wouldn't be dedicated to "independent press" and individual artists. 

Fandom is a great, big world, with many layers of complex participation.  I love it.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment