Thursday, February 23, 2012

the option to like both subs and dubs

So I just stayed up to write a counter to a YouTube commentor who tried to call me "snobbish" for hoping the FFX remaster comes with an option for Japanese dialogue with English text.  Just an _OPTION_.  I didn't say that it should only be in Japanese dialogue.  I didn't say that all English dubs suck, just for being in English.  He said he couldn't understand how people who don't speak a language can enjoy hearing it, as if he would never even try accepting such a thing, all while implying that I was somehow the narrow-minded one.  I politely explained to him that enjoying Japanese voice acting is only snobbish if it's paired with badmouthing English, just for being English, and that growing an affinity for a foreign language isn't different from enjoying Italian opera, Spanish songs, or non-English speakers becoming Beatles fans. 

Things like this sadden me a little, because speaking in forums with other geeks, about geeky subjects (such as videogames, in this case), usually comes with the expectation that there would be no persecution.  But some people can't just say "I like this"; they *have* to say "what you like sucks compared to what I like".  Now, there are people out there who love to argue, and I say, let them get together and have their fun.  ...Just leave out those of us who don't want to play that game.  When I go to a convention with like-minded people, I hope to feel less attacked or embarassed for my interests, versus the majority of time outside a convention.  But geek culture is plagued by elitism.  Perhaps it is a sad reaction to being persecuted in most daily, non-geek life.  It's very tempting to turn around and flaunt one's self, once you finally reach a position of confidence.  I was victim to being an elitist once.  I'd like to think that I grew out of it.  I'd even more like to think that *everyone* eventually grows out of it. 

But encountering narrow-minded people was a risk I had to take.  I wanted the industry and studios to know what I would like in FFX's remaster.  I just had to increase the chances that my hopes would be considered for the actual product.  This time, I couldn't just sit back and hope. 

All the while during Devil May Cry anime's development, the industry kept saying that they wanted to hear what the fans wanted, and that they were willing to cater to the fans' enjoyment.  But I never said anything, and probably lots of other fans didn't either, so Kari Whalgren didn't get cast as Lady.  Even though she _is_ Lady in the DMC games!  ;~;!  The voice actress who was cast was great, but I was reeeeally nostalgic for that voice I heard while playing DMC3.  *.*...  On the other hand, Dante's voice actor from the games made it into the anime dub...All thanks to the fans voicing their opinions.  I can't ignore anymore that it works (sometimes). 

The ironic thing is that the YouTube commentor generalizing any affinity for seiyuu, by anyone not fluent in Japanese, as "snobbish", sounded just as unimformed, narrow-minded, and---dare I say---"snobbish" as the elitists who proclaim all dubs suck, just for being in English.  I think both types of people need to give both languages an objective listen.  And listen to people the same way. 

I can understand that there are a lot of over-enthusiastic otaku out there, vocally and constantly practicing Japanese (very badly), and completely oblivious to how annoying they are.  I can understand that people who say they dislike "non-Japanese people who like Japanese anime/language/culture" are reflexively mistaking everyone who likes anime in Japanese, to be like those obnoxious types they've seen.  And perhaps the non-anime fans who put up with that aggrivation don't know how to counter in an articulated way, especially without publically sounding like a bigot against another culture.  But I suppose the way I feel is that I don't like being generalized with that group either.  The geeks against otaku are making assumptions about me that portray me as narrow-minded; they assumed I hate dubs, just because I also like subs.  Or they try to make me feel wrong because of my interests.  And I don't appreciate it.  That's why I gave up Comic Con.  I've worked hard to be open-minded and considerate of others, while still enjoying my hobbies.  And quite frankly, this type of discrimination is getting to a point where they're saying it's wrong to enjoy anything foreign, unless it matches your biological ethnicity or you're currently in the country of that hobby's origin.  ~x~!  I can't believe this happens in America, of all places...  But enough bitterness.  I don't want to fight anymore.  I just want to have fun, switching between both English and Japanese tracks, to increase the re-play value of whatever I'm watching/playing.

...My apologies.  Before this incident, I was completely oblivious to the notoriety of YouTube comments.  So, this hit me out of nowhere.  My previous experience with YouTube comments were almost all positive or polite.  Only fairly recently did I hear an implication that YouTube comments tend to be mostly "trolls", "flames", or whatever else we're calling online thoughts without much thought in them.  So, now I know better and will end my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment