Friday, February 10, 2012

Final Fantasy X remaster

First, today's fanart:
http://mysticdragon3.deviantart.com/art/bounce-and-tsundere-284398084



I just heard about the "remake" of Final Fantasy X for the PS3, being revealed as simply a graphic remastering.  Everyone commenting on CleverGames's report on YouTube seems pretty unanimous about how perfect FFX already was and how nothing else but a graphical remaster is all the game needs.  But if I could have my wish, there's only one thing I'd want added to the game, even more than a graphic remaster.  If the Remaster of FFX adds an option to choose Japanese dialogue with English text, then I'm buying.

 I still can't believe Square was able to go bilingual with "The Bouncer", and even all the .Hack// games were able to provide that option, yet Final Fantasy, with their large, overseas, otaku fanbase, just doesn't even try.  Even if the manga/anime bubble in North America has already burst, the anime fans here still have a great appreciation of Japanese voice acting.  And if anime convention cosplay is any indication, a lot of the Final Fantasy fans are part of the anime fandom.  I think all the FF fans would love to have a bilingual option.  Personally, I love to switch between the languages, to keep the experience of an anime fresh...throughout re-watching the same anime every day.  I would love to do the same with a Final Fantasy game.  If Kingdom Hearts did that, I may be replaying those games more frequently now too.  Ah, to have bilingual games...*__________*

 The dub acting was the only thing keeping me from getting the original FFX game.  I really thought that FFX would be the game to finally make me like turn-based gameplay---and I was really willing to do it for FFX's story---but I just couldn't get over the English voice acting.  ~_~;  After listening to all the Japanese cutscenes, I cried for 20 minutes straight.  So listening to the English dub, after that, was a real disappointment.  Masakazu Morita and Mayuko Aoki are awesome!   *u*  So were Rikku, Auron, and just everyone!  *-*!  Maybe I just have too much attachment to the seiyuu.  ^^;  But after listening to scenes like when Tidus got caught listening at Yuna's door, I just can't help but objectively cite Morita's voice acting as just much skillful...full range of Tidus's character...and flowing smoothly between it all.  I really would rather hear the Japanese seiyuu to enhance my gaming experience.  Or rather, I really think that listening to the English voice acting, throughout an entire game, would diminish my gaming experience.  ~_~;  Sorry.  But dubbing for Japanese video games just wasn't very good back then.

  As things stand now, I have to either learn Japanese or buy Region 2 game systems and game disks.  >.<;!  With my memory, I doubt I'll ever become fluent enough in Japanese to move as fast-paced as videogame play.  Even if FFX isn't real-time combat (which is one of the reasons I thought I could try it).  Right now, I read Japanese like a preschooler.  x_x;  I've been listening to Tagalog all my life, and I still can't speak it.  x~x;  So, you can see where my expectations lie.  And this whole region-coding thing just pisses me off.  Maybe in much the same way that console exclusivity used to.  Buying a whole system _overseas_, for just one (or 2) games, is just more wasteful with money than I'd like to be---or *can* be.  Especially with my bilingual skills, the way they are now.  ~___~  So I guess the only thing I can do now, is keep watching Japanese cutscenes online.  There are still some games I'd like to buy, despite having watched all the cutscenes (I suppose it's the same was re-watching the same anime DVD or re-reading the same manga volumes, as I'm apt to do, even more so than my geek's obsessive collecting).
 Even though the English dub acting is getting better, by the time of FFXIII, as an otaku, I still really want to hear the Japanese voice acting (even if I'm going to switch between languages, while playing the game several times). 

No comments:

Post a Comment