Wednesday, February 6, 2013

hanafuda cards


Last week, I saw a donated example of hanafuda cards from the early 1900's, at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles.  They were so pretty, and I thought maybe they were the type of cards used in that interesting game I saw Ataru play in Urusei Yatsura, a long time ago.  (They were playing a game were someone recited the first half of a famous poem, then everyone raced to grab the card that pictured the second half of the poem.  Anyone know what that game is?)  Before I knew it, I was buying a pack from the museum's gift shop, watching tutorials on YouTube, and now I'm watching enough clips of Summer Wars to want to buy the movie.  @_@ 

Even though the game Koi Koi looks like fun, I'm actually looking forward to using Hanafuda in some kind of art projects.  When I first saw, them, I started imagining how to turn the cards into miniature room divider screens, like in traditional Japanese rooms, so I could use them as props in my figurine photoshoots.  Now, I'm actually thinking of going to some gardens or nurseries, taking photos of flowers, then Photoshopping a photo-realistic version of hanafuda cards.  But even if I'm too chicken to ruin my cards or go all the way out to Descanso Gardens or the Huntington Library, I think I really want to make my own hanafuda cards.  Maybe carve some printmaking blocks or something...  *.*

No comments:

Post a Comment